It is dedicated to Our Lady and its interior contains a beautiful baroque altar, one of the best examples of old art still to be found in Wehr. Above the entrance is the date 1648, a reminder of the time when people had just survived the horrors of the Thirty Years' War. We do not know whether the chapel was rebuilt at that time or whether it replaced an old chapel that may have been destroyed during the war. The exuberant Baroque design is particularly impressive in view of the fact that Wehr lost at least two thirds of its population to war, disease and famine during the years of the Thirty Years' War between 1618 and 1648.
One would be inclined to assume an older chapel here. The field next to the chapel was once under the obligation that its owner had to look after the little church and ring the bells every day. According to the information in the preliminary report on the chapel fund accounts, Hans Litschgi is said to have donated this field to the chapel around 1660 with the aforementioned conditions. Bailiff Johann Genter also contributed to the establishment of the chapel fund with a large donation. When the municipality acquired the aforementioned field in 1831 in order to build the poorhouse for the Merian Foundation, it took over the obligation to look after the chapel.
Further information is available from the
Wehr Tourist Information Centre
Main Street 14
79664 Wehr
Tel: 07762 / 808-601
E-mail: tourist-info@wehr.de
http://www.wehr.de/
> The chapel is only open for masses and rosaries.